Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Internet Safety Reflection

Reading
I read "Let Our Voices Be Heard" by M. Russell Ballard.

Watching
I watched the video called "Katies Story" about a young girl who encountered a predator online.

Write a paragraph describing what your most important "take-aways" were from the readings and video?
The thing about the article that stuck out to me the most and that surprised me the most was when it was written. It was only written in 2003 and it is amazing how much worse our world has become since then. It is so important for us to be prepared for our world to get even worse. I think it is so important that as I prepare to have a family that I am making sure to decipher what is good and what is evil in the media. I should be aware of the effects it can have on my spiritual growth and the spiritual growth of my family.I need to make sure that I am doing everything I can to sift through the bad media and use it for its righteous uses and avoid its destructive uses.

I thought the most interesting thing about the video was the method they used to help their daughter who was talking to an online predator. They made her play a game with them that taught about protecting yourself from the dangers of the internet. I thought it was interesting that the girl was able to interact with her family and because of their healthy interactions she was able to see the seriousness of her situation. A strong family support system is so important.

Doing
I talked to a friend about what they knew about internet safety. He said he knew that it was important to not put any personal information on the computer and that you shouldn't put any details about where you live. He said he knew the importance of not talking to people you don't know. I told him Katies story and he just thought that the girl in the story was really silly and made really unwise decisions. He thought her mistakes were very apparent and that if he were her father we would have handled the situation very differently. He said that he would make sure to tell his daughter that her relationship with his guy wasn't OK and that she wasn't allowed to talk to him. I think now that I have brought this story to his attention he will know the importance he will have one day as a father to protect his children from predators. I think it is a good idea to share these kind of stories with people so that they are reminded of the realness of the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment